Tuesday 3 June 2014

Priceless Vessel

I was afraid, then, for I had never before been questioned by such a man in this way. As I searched Memory for an appropriate line of hexameter the dry voice of the Saint suddenly flew to my aid and his cool shadow veiled my bewildered face. 

“May the God be with you now and always,” he responded smoothly, “and assist you in fulfilling a glorious destiny, as befits the one who brought light to Delphi in her darkest hour.”

He cast a searching glance in my direction and got to his knees before the Tetrarch with arms outspread. “I give you my heartfelt thanks that she has been spared the fate which befell the others. You have saved her,” He added simply. My noble guardian hung his head with such an aspect of total supplication that it quite surprised me.

The Tetrarch did not appear surprised, however, but instead smiled broadly, dazzling us all with his countenance and appearing so handsome that I stared at him in amazement. He laughed merrily. “My dear friend, there is no need at all for this attitude, please arise!”

While he was doing as bidden the Tetrarch astonished us further with the following words. “You know, do you not, that this is a priceless vessel now set before me? I greatly desire to know more about the holy blood that is running through her veins.”

No comments:

Post a Comment